Background

Friday, August 30, 2013

The Bomb at North Park

Three quotes that have stuck in my brain over the years.

1.  "Your Freedom Stops at the End of Your Nose."
      Mr.  Hughes
     American Government Class

2.  "Trash in, Trash out"
      Robert Wheat
      Poetry Baptist Church

3. "You Have to Stand for Something, or You'll Fall for Anything"
     Aaron Tippin,


Yesterday

I loaded up with Kathy and her sister Debby for a fun filled shopping day at North Park Mall.  If you are from the Dallas area you already know all about North Park Mall   Great shopping, beautiful decorations, high end stores, and home to the real Santa during Christmas.  Of course, it goes without saying, it's a great place to people watch, too.

A North Park tradition






As we were walking through the mall I wanted to go into Paper Source.  It's a cute little stationary store that carries greeting cards, invitations and speciality gifts for the family. The store window was decorated with cute little owls and they were promoting back to school notebooks.  I wasn't looking for anything special I just wanted to check out their sale items.  I was enjoying looking at all the fun little things that you can't find at WalMart.  As I walked over to the card rack at the front of the store I looked down and couldn't believe what I saw.  It was a birthday card that read, "Happy _____ing Birthday."  Yes, the _____ was the F word or as some say the F Bomb.  There wasn't a line there.....but the whole word.  Oh wait....they used a light bulb shaped as an u.

Now, this card wasn't on my eye level.  It was on a 6 or 7 year old eye level right in the middle of the store.  I immediatley went into teacher mode.  I asked to speak to the manager.  She came over and I very nicely told her my concern.  Yes, I am offended by this word but this isn't about me.  Do we really want our little kids standing in a kid friendly card shop sounding out the F word?  She looked at me with this puzzled look......and she had no explanation.  She just mumbled something about the corporate office.  I truly believe no one else had ever expressed their concern over this and I don't think she thought it was a big deal.

Quote #1  "Your Freedom Stops at the End of Your Nose."

Our noses stretch over our mouth....so we have the freedom to speak.  But as adults shouldn't we protect our kids from vulgar language in a card shop?  Couldn't these cards be put up high or in a secure area where children can't see them?

Quote #2  "Trash In, Trash Out"

As a child, I never heard an adult use the "F" word.  I know that must be very hard to believe, but it's true.  My parents never said it, my aunts and uncles never said it, grandparents never said it, and never heard my friends' parents say it.  The only place I ever saw the word in print was in a bathroom stall in middle school and high school.  Of course, as I got older, I would hear other kids use the word.

Since my freedom stops at the end of my nose, I'm very protected with my freedom.  I try my very best not to let trash in.  I call it, "In my world."  In my world I watch The Andy Griffith Show instead of Family Guy.

I do believe if you put trash in your world  you get trash out your world.


Quote #3  "You Have to Stand for Something,  or You'll Fall for Anything"

"In my world" children shouldn't be exposed to the "F"word in a family card shop.  I will be calling the corporate offices of North Park and Paper Source to stand for something I deeply believe in.  I hope you will too so the next time you are card shopping with your kindergartener you don't hear this "fffffff..." "uuuuuuu" (short vowel).....I don't think I need to finish.


"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"

1 comment:

  1. Diane, I am so proud of you and your ethics. You were a precious little girl too. I love you.

    ReplyDelete