Background

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Harvesting herbs-my passion

I have recently retired (4 months ago) I am amazed at how fast the weeks go by.  I have loved being able to start this blog with my best friend Diane.  We have different interest.  She was a school teacher, me a nurse.  You can probably tell by this post who is more talented, her of course!  

This blog will be on harvesting and drying herbs.

You don't need much room in your yard to grow herbs.  They are very hardy in Texas and require very little time.  




Sweet Basil, Oregano, Rosemary




It's looking a little wary after a long hot Texas summer, but still great for harvesting!






Cut and bring in!  All washed up and ready to drain. :)


Start layering the herbs on a cookie sheet with paper towels in between each layer.  I put rosemary on the bottom

                                                                    Then the oregano

                                                                    And last the sweet basil


 Top it off with a paper towel


Put in oven set at 170 degrees for 3 hours.  Prop the door open, so the oven does not get too hot.


This is what it looks like when you take it out of the oven.  Did I mention your house will smell heavenly?








                   The herbs will be very dry.  Remove the herbs from the stems by crunching in your hands.




Separate the stems from the herbs



You can then put the herbs in containers from Dollar Tree.


I hope this blog has been informative.  If  I can do it anyone can!!!

2 comments: