Background

Monday, October 29, 2012

Amish Fried Pies......Oh My!

A few years ago I headed up north to Ardmore, Oklahoma to attend an arts and crafts fair with my family.  Family as in the girls....not the guys!  We found lots of cute stuff and it was cute stuff at great prices.  But the best bargain of the day.....Amish Fried Pies....oh my!!!  Best $1.00 I have ever spent in my life and I learned a valuable lesson that day.  You have to buy the fried pies first thing or you won't get your choices of flavors.

I came home and was obsessed with finding this recipe.  As some of my friends know, I have been known to stalk the Amish and take their picture (without them knowing).  But I would never steal a recipe from them.  But I did find this recipe and I think it is an exact copy of the Amish Fried Pie I had that day.  I promise they are delish and you can't eat just one.





Pies

4.5 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1/2 T. salt
1.5 c. shortening
1 c. water
Thick fruit filling
Shortening for deep frying

Glaze

4 lb. powered sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
5 T. powdered milk
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. warm water (maybe a little less)

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.  Cut in the shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.  Add water a little at a time until the flour mixture is moistened.  Form into 2 balls.  Divide each ball into 5 pieces and roll each piece into a circle.  Top one side of circle with filling and fold circle in half.  Crimp edges to seal.  Heat shortening; fry a few pieces at a time, until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack.  Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, combine all glaze ingredients until smooth.  While pies are still warm, dip them into glaze.  Allow pies to drip on air racks until cool.


3 comments:

  1. I love fried pies, but I've never tried making them. I just may have to try this one! Mom used to buy homemade, but not cooked fried pies from a little lady out in Copeville. We would bake them, just as many as we needed, and they were so good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom made fried Apricot pies to die for.
    Yours look so pretty but I am not too sure that recipe is very healthy. How do you stay so tiny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lolly....I can't believe your mom didn't make homemade fried pies! She is such an amazing cook! This recipe is really so good!

    @Tx granny....I didn't say it was healthy LOL!!!! But it sure is good :)

    ReplyDelete