Background

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Adcock" It

Have you ever met someone that inspires you?

 I'll never forget this one particular day.  It must have been on a Tuesday around 3:30 because I was sitting in a staff meeting at my school.  You know the kind of meeting that the whole staff must attend to hear more about the same thing you've heard at every Tuesday meeting.  "Do more....no money.... don't eat...don't drink...stand, don't sit....you can't wear leggings but you can wear tights.....you can't wear shoes with anything between the toes but you can wear tennis shoes," (yep, you read that right)....and on it goes.  I really was listening with one ear, but out of the other ear, three teachers down, I heard this comment, "Every girl deserves a blue box from Tiffany's."





WOW!!!  Those 8 words were so "powerful" to me. ( If you have ever taught Reading Recovery, you know how "powerful" powerful is)  Those 8 words made me think.....I didn't have a blue box from Tiffany's.  I'm not a brand name shopper at all, in fact, I'm a bargain shopper.  After that day, it was my mission to get a little blue box from Tiffany's.

Now, this post isn't about Tiffany's at all.  It's about the sweet woman who spoke those 8 little words.  Her name is Pat Adcock.....she is my friend.....and she so inspires me and so many others.  I've told her several times she needs a blog so I can read it everyday and steal all her cute ideas.

When we were building our home in 2000, she invited the staff over to her house.  I was in awe.....so I had to borrow at least one idea I saw in her home.  She had taken an old stained glass window and placed it over an inside door.   So guess what????   That's right....I "adcocked" two of my doors.

adcock (ad ~ cock)  v.  to kick it up a notch.

Found the stain glass in Canton and we framed around them.

It's really pretty with the light shining through.


Pat always decorated the teachers' lounge or library for every special occasion.  She did the flower arrangements, the food and made her famous Mock Champagne Punch.  She made us feel like we were at the Ritz instead of inside an elementary school.  That takes a lot of talent!!!!

When I retired she gave me the most unique bird cage.  She told me, "I know you can find just the right place for it in your home."  My heart sank.  Do you realize what kind of pressure that is?  When Pat gives you a bird cage, it's not to be used as a bird cage.  If she gave you a muffin tin, you would never use it as a muffin tin. You would have to "adcock" it.  So it took me about 3 months to "adcock" my bird cage.  I love it!  It's a great conversation piece.

The cage has a boot theme going on.  My mother's  cowboy boots from the 1940's are displayed with her picture in the first cage.  My Papaw's  boot jack is in the second cage.  A pair of vintage Roy Rogers cowboy boots are in the third cage.  Bill's first pair of spurs are displayed in the last cage.


Next time you find a treasure.....think to yourself.....how can I adcock it?


P.S. I do believe every girl deserves a little blue box from Tiffany's.




2 comments:

  1. Ad-Cock it, indeed! :) I love it! But, do you have any idea how often I STILL ask myself "What would Diane Brown do?" Talk about an inspiration!!! :)
    And I need one of those little blue boxes, one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my sweet friend! You are one of the best teacher's I've ever worked with! You are the teacher I would hand pick for my own child! I'll see you in Dec. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete