Background

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I Wonder What Mamaw Would Think

Living in a small Texas town back in the early 60's, we headed down the storm cellar anytime a dark cloud would form.  It seemed like everyone back then had a storm cellar, but I wasn't even 5 years old so my "everyone" may be a little limited.  My Mamaw Michael, my Grandpapa Foster, and Minnie and Clarence Baker to name just a few all had cellars.  I can still remember the smell and feel of dampness as you walked down the steep steps of the concrete cellar.  The cellars were lined with wooden shelves filled with canning jars and spiders….lots of spiders.


After my family moved to a larger city it seemed no one had storm cellars.  If there was a tornado warning you just headed to the nearest bathroom or closet to cover your head.  If we were at school we headed to the hallway to duck and cover.  Over the years, I have become petrified of tornado warnings.    Luckily, I have never been in an actual tornado but two years ago one came within 2 miles of our house.  So last year we put in a storm shelter.

I love my storm cellar.  It gives me such a peaceful feeling to know we have a place to go to take cover.  All my neighbors, friends and family know they are all welcome to jump in during any storm.  We decided to finish it out by painting the walls, ceiling and floors a leather color. We also added a wood trim to the walls.

Then we decorated it.  It was a fun project and I love the way it turned out!  I just wonder what my mamaw would think.



The project started with a headboard I found at the flea market in Canton.

Bill bought some wood and made the storage bench.


Then he added the headboard to the bench.

We painted the bench.
Bill did a great job painting the inside of the cellar.

Yikes…..Poor guy got a splinter adding the wood trim to the cellar.

My mom rescued these chairs out of an old barn and redid them for me.  Bill made the saddle bar stool for my classroom but now it will be in the cellar.

The bench turned out perfect!  So much room for storage. 

This is an old rope can.  I added motivational sayings about storms.  Maybe it will help calm us when we have our next storm.


I love my finished out storm cellar.  It feels safe and cozy.  But I truly hope we just wasted a bunch of money and we NEVER have another storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment